Computers are indispensable; part of our everyday lives, days, nights, at work, on vacation. I discovered that the more time I spent on my computer (primarily at work) my eyes were becoming achy, dry, strained…and different.
I never needed glasses, but at the ripe age of 42, I discovered I needed them to read small print.
I experienced eyestrain…which turned into Ocular migraines (never having a history of Migraines, ocular or otherwise, this was pretty scary stuff).
I went to the eye doctor and found that other than the issues described above, things were fine.
I think that some of these issues could have been avoided if I had just known a few simple tips.
- The 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, blink and gaze into the distance for 20 seconds.
- Dim overhead lighting; this reduces glare.
- Check brightness and contrast (a screen too light or dark can cause straining).
- Increase size of documents to 100%.
- Use lubricating eye drops.
I hope these tips help!