I’ve had the opportunity to read and review a wonderful book, just in time for Easter.
Easter Stories~Classic Tales for the Holy Season is a nice, thick book (370 pages!). It’s full of 27 wonderful stories for the Easter season from various authors of the Christian tradition. In this book, you’ll find authors like C.S. Lewis, Maxim Gorky, Walter Wangerin Jr., Oscar Wilde, the Brothers Grimm, and others you might never have heard of, but whose writings will bless and encourage you and your family. Here is a sampling of the stories you’ll encounter here:
- Jane Tyson Clement’s The White Lily tells of a radiant lily, given to a grumpy, dirty father, and how it transforms his household and family
- Oscar Wilde’s The Selfish Giant; a story that’s familiar to many of us but which merits a beautiful inclusion here
- The account of a transformational experience in a South African church, recounted by Alan Paton in The Church of the Washing of the Feet
- in Checkov’s The Student, a young man’s encounters over the course of an evening open epiphany to him
- My personal favorite, How Donkeys Got the Spirit of Contradiction, by Andre’ de Trocme’; one person’s imaginings of a Samaritan’s donkey who met the Holy Family.
- And 22 other wonderful tales to stir your spirit and open your heart to see and experience Easter
I personally love fiction for the purposes of revealing truth. I think that, in prose, an author can express so much more than in nonfiction; perhaps that when our souls have to ponder and seek, we understand more. All the authors of these excellent Easter tales are able to accomplish just that. You’ll walk away after reading them thankful!
Easter Stories can be used as personal devotional reading, (in many cases) as a family read-aloud, and would be a wonderful addition to any family’s bookshelf. I recommend it for your celebration of Easter!
And, you have the chance to win a copy for yourself! Just enter the Rafflecopter form below!
Enjoy–and best wishes for a lovely Easter! –Wren
“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”