So…our awesome friend Brenda from Counting Pinecones nominated finchnwren for this really cool blogger award, called the Liebster Award! Brenda is a fellow blogger that I met while we were reviewing together for the Schoolhouse Review Crew. She is an amazing woman who inspires me so regularly. She’s faithful, strong, fun and funny….and a fellow Texan, y’all! Thank you, Brenda–we really appreciate it!
Now, here is the embarrassing part. (HUGE blush here. And I do mean HUGE.) Brenda nominated us for this a year and a half ago. Clearly, I was supposed to post about this ages ago. I just completely dropped the ball! One of the cool parts about Liebster is that the winner gets to nominate three other neat-o blogs and mention them on her own blog. So we did do that–well, the selecting part anyway. But life in all its craziness and unpredictability interfered. And I have never posted about this!
Forgive me, Brenda! You are so awesome and we so were blessed by your kindness. I just totally dropped that ball.
Finch and I would like to nominate several of our blog friends for the pay-it-forward portion of the Liebster Award. Each of these gals are women I’ve (Wren) served alongside on the Schoolhouse Review Crew, meaning that we’re all homeschoolers who reviewed curricula for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. These are amazing women; I encourage you to check out their blogs! We’ve selected:
- Julie from Little Bits of Life. Julie is just an outstanding woman. She is a devoted, passionate mother to two little gals. She can also build a car engine! And make soap. And lots of other cool things. I have seen her go through incredible difficulties and she just keeps on chugging and persevering. Go, Julie!
- Katie from Katie’s Daily Life. Katie is also incredible…and oh, the challenges she has faced this year! Terrible pain, several surgeries. She is cheerful, positive, and, like Julie, an amazing perseverer (is that a word? You know what I mean!). She has been in horrible physical pain yet she has faithfully continued in homeschooling and motherhood, as well as being a supportive daughter. Katie, you are truly amazing.
- Wendy from Ladybug Daydreams. Wendy is the mom of 4 boys from age 13 down! So you know she is busy at her house. She homeschools the kiddos, knits BEAUTIFUL projects (and is crafty in other ways), and has even taken up ballet! She is encouraging and so fun. She’s also married to her high school sweetheart (who’s also very creative and artistic. Clearly that must run in their family!) I don’t know how she keeps all her balls in the air…but she does, beautifully.
Now, here are the questions we are answering! We’ve split them into two so you get to learn more about each of us!
1. Do you have pets? Two Bengals, a Pug and a 7 month old German Shepard
2. If you could do one thing over from your past, with the knowledge you have now, what would it be? Surround myself with people that have my best interests at heart.
3. What are your three favorite comfort foods? French fries, Spinach and Artichoke dip and Pizza.
4. Do you prefer ebooks or regular books? Regular hardback!
5. What is your favorite piece of jewelry and why? My diamond cross; my husband surprised me with it for Christmas one year and I never take it off.
Now, tell us 6 things we may not know about you.
1. I’m 95% Vegetarian, 5% Pescetarian
2. Avid reader (at least 4 -5 books per week).
3. I love to dance (but rarely do it).
4. I’ve been married to the love of my life for 11.4 years
5. I’ve donated my hair to locks of love twice (a total of 24”)
6. Love to swim laps
And now, from Wren!
What is your number one tip to make the mornings easier? Get up early enough to prepare for your day. I wake up, blearily make my way downstairs, and get a cup of coffee. Once I’m awake and aware, I have a quiet time and look over my day’s schedule. I’d like to start tucking in a little exercise too! The morning is such a great time for me to just get my head in the game for the day.
How did you choose your blog name? My sister and I chose it together. We just really liked the combination of the names together, and we’ve stuck with it!
What made you decide to homeschool? We actually had planned on a great local charter school and got our son on the list within a week of his birth. However, God just sort of directed us toward homeschooling little by little. We did a lot of reading, nature stuff, field trips, and before we knew it we were homeschooling and loving it! It has been a great lifestyle for us.
Do you do meal planning by the week or month? Or not at all? I TRY to do week-by-week. The last month of the fall I only did it about half the time. Things got very busy. But things work well for us when we have a planned meal schedule to work from.
Do you have a favorite book or movie that you just can’t imagine never reading or seeing again? So many! So I’ll only tell you one. The 6-hour BBC “Pride and Prejudice” with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. “Mr Darcy, as he calls himself!”
And now…5 things you might not know about Wren!
- We struggled with infertility after we married…for almost 4 years! We were thrilled when I finally got pregnant with Jackson.
- I love, love, love teaching art.
- I also love giving gifts! You could say it’s my love language.
- I have been a volunteer in some form or fashion all of my adult life.
- I had to travel to a foreign country to meet the love of my life….whom I married almost 20 years ago! 🙂
Enjoy! –Wren and Finch