Well, we’ve had several weeks of highly unexpected things happening around here. You might have noticed that things have been VERY quiet at the FINCHNWREN blog!
- I had surgery (expected) to remove a cyst from my abdominal area that was—I kid you not—the size of a baseball/tennis ball (depending on which tech/doctor was describing it).
- Spent a week in the hospital. (Also expected.)
- Went home on day #7.
- Got up the next day with a fever, tons of pain, and what turned out to be an infected incision. (Unexpected!)
Now, everything else has fallen into that “Unexpected!” list:
- 4 more days in the hospital, May 8-11.
- Infected incision area and an introduction to this odd yet miraculous little machine called a “wound vac.” Yes, it does just what it sounds like it might do; it is attached to my abdominal area via tubes, sponges, sticky clear tapey stuff, and it sucks out the bad stuff, stimulates cells to do good work and get healthy. It runs via electrical cord/battery and I haul it around everywhere I go.
- The unexpected blessing of home health care. I have nurses who come to my home every two days to clean the wound and change the dressings.
We don’t know how long this process will take. It is at times, absolutely exhausting, painful, sleep-inducing. Yet it really is miraculous, and healing is occurring.
I also want to send hugs and blessings to our dear friends and family–here in person, and via the Internet all across the world. We’ve been blessed with meals, gift cards, prayers, cards, kind words, thoughts; so much care extended by so many. Thank you!
I’ll do my best to stay in touch with you all. Finch and I have some fun giveaways to bring to you this summer. But at the moment, my focus is to heal; to love my family; to rest; and to hear God. Here’s a sweet verse that I read just in the last hour; the perfect thing to close on, I think!
“Because of the LORD’s great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.”” —Lamentations 3:22-24
Isn’t that lovely? Just the thoughts I’d like to have on my heart as I get ready to go to bed.
Bless you all, friends. I’m looking forward to being more in touch with you. –Wren