I love art books, craft books, creative how-to books. So when I had the opportunity to review Yellow Owl Workshop’s Make It Yours by Christine Schmidt, I was ecstatic…because this book is all those things in one! Blogging For Books was kind enough to provide a free copy of this amazing book so that I could try it out and review it, and share my thoughts with you!
What is Make It Yours?
Yellow Owl Workshop’s Make It Yours
is a beautifully photographed, clearly written project and idea manual for those who love to craft or create…whether they’d consider themselves creative or not. Each project contains photos of the process itself as well as the finished version of the project. These range from stationery, to kitchen items, to home decorative furnishings, to gifts, and more!
Author and artist Christine Schmidt intros the book with a chapter that’s all about how to use the book, making it perfect for the seasoned artist and crafter and the newbie alike. She talks about ways the reader can use the book and describes all the various art media and crafting supplies mentioned and utilized. From that brief introduction, she jumps right into creative instruction. The projects are divided into these six broad categories, with each chapter containing 4-7 different ideas:
- Abstract & Geometric Patterns
- Everyday Patterns
- Custom Motifs
- Occasions & Celebrations
- Flora & Fauna
- Travel-Inspired Patterns
Here’s what you’ll find in it:
- Step-by-step instructions for 31 different extremely cool projects
- Gorgeous, full-color pictures of projects the author has made
- A complete list of supplies needed for each project
- Instead of a slipcover, the softcover book’s front and back have 3″ wide bent covers that you can use instead of bookmarks to mark your place
- Templates for various designs
- Photos of supplies needed for design categories
- Recommended reading
- And more!
Some of my favorites…
Well…how would you like to learn how to gold-leaf a table? Or carve your own stamp? Make fondant cake decorations? (Because, really, isn’t fondant the coolest??) What about painting decorative plates, or doing a new sort of tie-dye? This book is so packed full of so many different types of projects, the reader will never get tired of using it! Because of course, if one completed every project in the book, she’d then have the mastery to start back over again and tweak the projects with her own learned skill and creativity!
And things I’m looking forward to making myself!
I received this book for review at sort of a challenging moment. I love art and teaching art. But during the time when I could have whipped out some of these amazing home and gift ideas, I had surgery which turned into almost 2 weeks in the hospital, followed by weeks of at-home recuperation. So I haven’t yet been able to make ANY of these! But here’s a short list of some I’d like to try first!
- Shibori pattern tie-dyeing with indigo dye
- Painting decorative plates with markers
- Making my own stamps and stamping clay ornaments
- I’m also hoping to adapt the leather-working aspects of Schmidt’s plaid tote to create an art display board for next year’s art classes
- And more! What a drool-worthy book!
Who would enjoy Yellow Owl Workshop’s Make It Yours?
- Crafty folk
- Art teachers (oh yes, there’s so much in this book to adapt for your classes!)
- Families who like to do art together
- Those who aren’t crafty or artistic but would love to be
- Someone who’d like to update or personalize her home’s look or furnishings
- A book club; what about reading this book together then doing some projects?
And my conclusions:
I think that Yellow Owl Workshop’s Make It Yours is a fantastic resource, well worth its purchase price of $22! It’s easy to read and use, and gorgeous to look at. Readers have the opportunity to learn printmaking, clay work, stamping (including how to make your own stamps), painting, dying…and so much more! Really, it’s like a year-long art class packed into one nice thick book. I am happy to recommend it!
I hope you enjoyed this brief glance of a wonderfully creative how-to book! Thanks for joining me today!
Disclosure: From time to time, finchnwren may receive a free product or service in exchange for our honest opinions expressed in our blog. We are not required to write a positive or glowing review, nor are we additionally compensated for these reviews. We share our own opinions, and our family’s opinion, of these products. We’re disclosing this in accordance with FTC regulations. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.