I have a lovely book to tell you about today. The BlogAbout Blogger Network was kind enough to send me a copy to review AND a copy of this lovely book to give away to one special reader!
If you are a young woman, do you ever wish that you had someone to help guide you through the ups and downs of life, emotions, relationships, and challenges? I know that I certainly did. The adolescent and young adult lives that we live carry so much change, so much identity-formation, so much of the internal life that we don’t necessarily even realize as we walk through life.
Most of all, do (or did) you realize that there is a God of the universe, the God of the Bible, who doesn’t just like you or tolerate you but ADORES you?
Author Lindsay A. Franklin certainly understands this and communicates it vibrantly and joyfully, (not to mention, at times, hilariously) in ADORED. Subtitled 365 Devotions for Young Women, this book is filled to overflowing with daily Scriptures and devotional writings that speak wonderfully to the hearts of young women. (Or even women who’d fit more into the Titus category, or moms of children or teens, like me!)
ADORED is just a gorgeous book, inside and out. It’s a smooth hardback book that feels substantial but isn’t too heavy in the hands. Its gold and blue artsy cover is echoed in the pages, which have illustrated blue borders plus lines for journaling thoughts and prayers at the bottom of the pages. Each day’s reading (and there are, as mentioned in the title, 365–so one for each day of the year) begins with a Bible verse and its address printed at the top of each page. To go along with each of these, Franklin has written devotionals that address ways we can understand the verses, be encouraged by them, or even live out their instructions in our daily lives (both inner and outer).
How I used this book…
I love to start my day with devotional and Bible reading, or Bible study. So I really enjoyed reading ADORED in the mornings with my coffee. Sometimes, I’d look up the daily Bible verse in my own Bible, so that I could glean more of Scripture and the contexts the verses were set in. And although I live with men in my home (my husband and teen son) rather than young women, I often found inspiring and encouraging words that I could share with them during family Bible times or devotionals together. They’re not the target audience, but there was so much rich content that really affects all of us.
and what I thought about it
So why did I find that ADORED was so applicable to my whole family?
I really think that it’s because all of us, whether we’re male or female, younger or older, deeply need to know that we are loved. Even adored. Lindsay A. Franklin makes that point in her book again and again, in different ways, with different words. And we all need to hear that!
Here are some of my favorite words from this remarkable book:
- “But given how much Scripture talks about waiting, specifically waiting on the Lord, we can guess patience is listed as a fruit of the Spirit for a reason. God is never in a rush. This God who is always the same says, “Wait on me. See what I have for you in my time.”…God’s not in a rush, so why are we?” (Day 23)
- “You have a God who offers peace. You have a God who hears your prayers. You have a God who never backs down, even from the very gates of hell. You are never alone and your God is never overcome. So stand tall. You can trust God to help you overcome those who are trying to intimidate you.” (Day 18)
- “Our God–the one of unchanging purpose, constant love, utmost consistency–never discovers greener grass and decides to graze over there a bit. He knows all the grass. He’s not wooed by the bigger, better deal. He’s not suddenly walking alongside you in life, only to be distracted, shout “Squirrel!” and take off after it. God won’t give up on you. He won’t forget you. He won’t leave you. Ever.” (Day 17)
That’s only a tiny taste for you of what comprises this most wonderful and encouraging devotional.
And now…my giveaway!
So who would be the perfect recipient of this lovely book, ADORED?
- A young woman (whether she’s a teen or in her twenties)
- A new believer, who needs to know the character and purposes of God
- Any woman—even if she’s not the target audience—who’d like to know more about the amazing love that God has for us
- A dad who’d like to bless his daughter with this incredible book
- Or, anyone else whose heart is captured by the idea of ADORED
All you have to do to enter is to click on the pink “Enter Here!” below. That will take you to the Giveaway Tools entry form. Just follow the directions there! One winner will be selected after the giveaway closes on 11/27/17.
Best wishes! –Wren
DISCLOSURE: From time to time, finchnwren may receive a free product or service in exchange for our honest opinions expressed in our blog. We are not required to write a positive or glowing review, nor are we additionally compensated for these reviews. We share our own opinions, and our family’s opinion, of these products. We’re disclosing this in accordance with FTC regulations.