Thanks to Momentum Influencer Network and Universal, I’ve had the joy of being introduced to Anne Wilson and her incredible music recently. I’ve been given the opportunity to listen to her new album and share about it with you. And, Momentum has provided an autographed copy of Anne’s debut CD, My Jesus, which I’ll be giving away to one FINCHNWREN reader!
About Anne’s debut album, My Jesus
Anne Wilson was brought into the music business after a terrible family tragedy; when they lost her older brother Jacob to a car accident. She was a teen then and had very different expectations for what her life path would be. But God asked her to do something different. (You can listen to her video story through the link below.) Really, something remarkable. And I believe that God is going to use this young woman (she is not even 21 yet!!) to make a difference, to be a voice for Jesus and for healing. Her debut album is a witness to that.
My Jesus and Anne Wilson have accumulated so many accolades already! Anne is the first the first female solo artist debut single to reach #1 on the Billboard Christian Airplay chart. The debut single “My Jesus” was the longest #1 single on Billboard’s Christian Airplay chart of 2021 at 7 weeks. It has even achieved gold record status.
Here’s the song list from Anne’s new release My Jesus, and my thoughts about each song:
- “Prelude (Scatter)” is a remarkable introduction to not only its subsequent song, but to the album as well. With a variety of instruments, the listener gets the sense of a thunderstorm which segues into piercing mariachi music (with strong keyboards and trumpets). These crescendo and then, head toward a firm stop. This leaves you breathlessly anticipating what comes next…
- which is “Scatter.” This song picks up where “Prelude” leaves off. What is the idea this song communicates? It’s what the enemies of the child of God do: they scatter. It’s really a praise and proclamation song–a powerful one. Our God fights our battles for us; and when He does, we praise.
- “My Jesus.” I don’t think they could have selected a better title for this album. This heartfelt song about suffering, pain, and the Jesus who is there with us always–Anne’s Jesus, and ours as well, if we want Him. How ready He is to meet us when we are broken, always. “My Jesus” is the anthem that every human needs to hear. And you can hear it here. It’s truly a song that can change your life.
- And you wouldn’t think that “Devil” is a song that could follow “My Jesus.” Au contraire! This fantastic pronouncement of victory will get your blood flowing and remind you, as the song said, that Jesus “brought life to me and death to the devil!”
- The precious “Sunday Sermons” (and don’t miss the music video!) shows the beautiful seeds that the church, the Bible, and all the words we hear in church when we are littles can produce, in bountiful fruit later on.
- When you hear the title, “Hey Girl,” do you think of a famous meme? I did too (funny!), but Anne’s song is a word of life spoken over young women. It’s wonderful! It’s not just a reminder of what we should believe about ourselves: but why.
- “This House” (with a lovely bridge from an old hymn) shares what our homes need to be built on to live, thrive, and stand.
- “Mansions” is Anne’s lovely take on Jesus’s words from John 14:2. It will make you smile.
- In “Mamas,” Hillary Scott, from Lady A, sings with Anne about the gifts mamas are. Perfect for Mother’s Day! Beautiful, happy, cheerful song and gorgeous duet. One of my favorites!
- “No Place Like Home” is a sweet, heart-wrenching ballad to Anne’s brother; and the knowledge that, in the midst of grief, there is a perfect home out there for us.
- “God Thing” — Miracles. Healings. Answered prayers. A sinner saved by grace. They happen!
- “That’s What We Need” is faith and life that looks like Jesus. Love; the least of these embraced; His purpose. So wonderful; you will love this song!
- What is it about Jesus’s name that is different from every other name on earth? “Something About That Name” is about what happens when we speak His name, in all circumstances, places, over every situation–with His unique power to save. Compelling–and powerful.
- “Closer to God” is one of the most beautiful songs on this album to me. It showcases Anne’s voice in a wonderful way. She often sings in a lower register, but moments in this song give her voice to soar beautifully high and free. And the words! What truths for the broken, for those who feel that God is far away. He’s so close.
- And last, there’s a reprisal of “My Jesus” but this time it’s with Crowder. I wouldn’t have expected their voices to pair well together; but this is awesome! You’ll love it. (And maybe not cry as much over this version.)
My thoughts about Anne Wilson’s remarkable debut
I was privileged to attend the Capitol Christian Music Group/Kisme livestream with Anne Wilson on April 27. I was just so struck by her story, but also her absolute gratefulness to be singing with her band and for her label, as well as to all those who co-wrote the album’s songs with her. Her spirit is so precious and refreshing, and her voice is rich and compelling. It was an absolute pleasure to watch and listen to Anne.
Her story is a one like no other I’ve heard. Out of absolute heartbreak (her beloved older brother’s unexpected death in a car accident) came the calling and life she’s walking out now. (Actually, she’d planned to be a NASA astronaut!) But her songs are written from the heart. During the livestream, she said that “the best songs are written from the deep places in your life.” How she has proved that. And how these songs will minister to you, to your children, to all those around you. (Whether they’re country-rock fans or not!) Anne’s humble, gracious story is the living out of how God can bring beauty from ashes.
I’m so pleased to be able to share about Anne and her songs and new album, and to give away this fantastic CD. It will minister to you and speak to your lonely, broken places. Don’t miss “My Jesus!”
Where you can purchase My Jesus
I wish I could give a copy of this CD to each one of you! But since I can’t (but don’t forget to enter my giveaway!), I want to let you know how and where you can purchase this CD.
You can stream and buy My Jesus here: Anne Wilson My Jesus
Watch the official music video for My Jesus here
And for more behind the scenes, you can watch Anne’s “My Story” Video here
Enter the FINCHNWREN giveaway to win an autographed My Jesus CD
The FINCHNWREN blog is giving an autographed My Jesus CD to one reader! To enter, just click on the pink “Enter here!” link below. That will take you to a Giveaway Tools entry form, where you’ll be able to enter to win in a variety of ways. Giveaway closes at noon on Friday, May 6, 2022. One winner will be selected to win. Best wishes!
Disclosure: Many thanks to Universal Music Group for providing a sample of the product for this review.
Opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced my monetary compensation.