Welcome back to our 5 Things You Didn’t Know About… series; today, featuring Carol from The Balanced Homeschooler blog!
In 5 Things You Didn’t Know About…, I’ll be introducing you to some of my favorite friends from the blogging world. Each of them will tell you a little about themselves, how they recharge, what they’re reading and doing this summer. Just lots of fun in bite-sized quantities!
And now…meet Carol!
1. Favorite summer activity: Besides spending extra time with our sons by having fun and serving others, most of my summer is absorbed by a variety of planning activities, which I enjoy immensely! Yes, I AM a planning nerd!
2. Best book you’ve read this summer: Recently I have re-read “How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig”, by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. I enjoy the quirky way in which she makes important points about intentionality and the choices we make in life. It’s a great read to create interesting conversations with the teens in our home!
3. How do you renew your spirit/recharge your batteries? Yearly, I create a family yearbook so I enjoy catching up on my digital scrapbooking project. While it sounds like work and does take a lot of time, it really does recharge my batteries since it allows me to reflect on the many wonderful experiences and growth that our family has encountered in recent months. It is like creating a pictorial journal of gratitude while also building a legacy for our sons and their future families.
4. Something cool God has taught you lately, or a favorite meaningful quote: Our family’s life verse has always been Proverbs 3:5-6, which in practical terms during a time of crisis means “I can’t NOT go through this and so I MUST rely on the Lord to do it.” Recently good friends of ours lost their precious daughter, and so I am reminded that our own loss of our oldest son nearly five years ago partly prepared us to support them through this process now. Relationships and God’s Word are all that matters at the end of the day, so if we can serve as the hands and feet of Christ for the benefit of others, THAT is the best use of our lives.
5. This year, you’re looking forward to…. We love to travel and experience new things, so we are planning an awesome family driving trip later this year that will take us to Mt. Rushmore, Montana, Yellowstone, and other great stops that will create the trip of a lifetime! Sometimes “someday” needs to be TODAY!
More about Carol Gary:
Mrs. Carol Gary has been married to her husband Grant Gary since 1991 and they have been ardently homeschooling their sons in Phoenix, Arizona since the fall of 2000. They have four boys; two of whom they continue to homeschool and two of whom have gone home to be with the Lord. They faithfully attend their local church and are fully devoted followers of Christ. Their family is a member of a local homeschooling support group and she enjoys digital photography/scrapbooking in her spare time. Most of all, she loves reading to her children; who especially love her range of “voices”.
She served in the leadership of a large, local support group called “The Homeschool Ministry” for twelve years. Over this time, she interacted with hundreds of homeschooling families in various stages of the home education process and has a heart to help others succeed in teaching, discipling, and mentoring their children. She developed The Balanced Homeschooler (TBH) Mentoring Program to provide a unified resource for the common concerns and questions that she was called upon to regularly address about home education, discipleship, and home management. She regularly presents at various homeschool conferences and events and joined the speaker lineup in 2016 for the Home Education Council of America. In addition, she and Grant have recently begun serving on the Board of Directors for MoezArt Productions, a local drama company specifically designed for homeschooling families.
Since 2013, she has served as the AZ State Ambassador and her husband as a Community Ambassador for the Home School Foundation; the charitable arm of Homeschool Legal Defense Association designed to help families continue to homeschool through hard times. She has received the HSF National Service Award four years running as she and her husband work with their team to meet a number of unusual and pressing needs in their local homeschool community.
She is active with her alma mater, Grand Canyon University; faithfully supporting GCU’s annual Run to Fight Children’s Cancer and currently serving on GCU’s ALPHA Advisory Board to better serve homeschooling families in the AZ community. She and her husband also created and support the Evan C. Gary Memorial Scholarship administered through the Grand Canyon University Scholarship Foundation.
Carol earned her B.S. in Marketing from GCU in Phoenix, Arizona in 1990, graduating Summa Cum Laude and earning the university’s highest academic honor; the Ray-Maben Scholar award. She later earned her Master’s Degree in Business Administration from GCU in 1998 as well as the distinction of being named GCU’s “Outstanding Business Administration Graduate of the Year” award. She worked and advanced in the corporate environment in operational management and quality process consulting in both the retail and information technology industries for over thirteen years until 1998 when she transitioned into her favorite role of all; full-time mom.
Thank you for stopping by!